29 April 2007

Turkish Pide with Cheese/Meat Filling


In Turkey, pide with various types of filling is sold in special restaurants. In Melbourne, almost all Turkish restaurants serve pide freshly baked on the day. Since I frequently buy pide from these restaurants, I have never thought of baking at home. Coming across with a recipe recently, I thought I should give it a try, and it turned out great.
The recipe was enough for four medium sized pide, and I filled two with cheese and the other two with lamb meat filling.
For the dough
3 cups of plain flour
1 tablesp sugar
1 teasp salt
2 teasp instant yeast (or 1/2 tablesp fresh yeast)
1.25 cup water
1 egg, lightly beaten, for glazing
For the filling
250 gr minced meat (preferably lamb)
1 onion, diced
2 tablesp vegetable oil
1 teasp tomato paste
100 gr capsicum, diced finely
salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 teasp dried mint
1/2 teasp sweet paprika
400 gr grated cheese
salami, or sucuk (Turkish spiced-salami)
1. Mix flour, salt, sugar, yeast and water in a bowl, knead until well-mixed. Cover, and let it rest for an hour until it has risen.
2. For meat filling, stir-fry the onion, add meat, continue stirring from time to time. Add capsicum and tomato paste. Add salt and blackpepper to taste, along with paprika and mint. When the meat has cooked well (at least 20 minutes), set aside to cool slightly.
3. Set the oven to 200 degrees. Divide the dough into four pieces. (Rub some vegetable oil to your hands beforehand so that the dough is easier to handle). Using a rolling pin, obtain circular flat pieces. Then extend each piece from the sides, using your hands, and obtain oval shaped pieces.
4. For cheese pide, brush the flat dough with egg, sprinkle with grated cheese. Add salami, if using. For meat pide, spread the filling directly onto the flat dough.
5. Fold one cm. of the dough from the sides. Bring together at the tips. Brush with egg. Cook on lightly greased oven trays at 200 degrees, for about 20 minutes until the dough starts changing colour, and the cheese is bubbling. When out of the oven, brush with olive oil or butter, before serving.

22 comments:

Peter M said...

Great looking site and this recipe seems delicious...I take it this is found sold on street corners in Turkiye?

Ceviz said...

Hi Peter, these filled 'pide's are not really sold on street corners, but in special restaurants called pideci, which are often pretty low-key. If you try, let me know how it went. Cheers, ceviz

Thistlemoon said...

This looks delicious! I am SO making it!So excited to have another Turkish food blog on the Foodie Blogroll! I can tell you I will be back oftetn!

Anonymous said...

Wow these look amazing! I will be trying these out.

Ceviz said...

I have realised a big typo in the recipe. It was 1.25 cups of flour. It should have been 1.25 cups of water. It's corrected now!

Unknown said...

Hiya Ceviz,
Many thanks for the recipe. Do you know what the difference is between this type of pide and lahmacun - or is it the same?
Senay

Ceviz said...

Lahmacun is spicy meat filling laid over very thin and flat circle dough. It's served with a squeeze of lemon and some parsley (and red onions, optional). The dough in pide is more puffed up, and the fillings are almost covered by the dough. See Binnur's lahmacun recipe at http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/04/turkish-style-pizza-with-ground-beef.php
Cheers.

Unknown said...

Thanks for that, Ceviz. Your recipe was delicious. I can swap you my dad's special stuffed vine leaves, if you're interested and like rolling!?
Senay

Ceviz said...

Thanks for the offer Senay. I have several recipes of vine leaf rolls, which I love eating but have never tried making them. If you have a blog and post it on your blog, please let me know. Will be happy to create a link for your dad's recipe. Cheers, Evrim

Nar said...

Yum, pide! I live very, very close to a pideci and I go there 2-3 times a month. I can't allow myself to go any more often than that! I am enjoying your website. I live in Istanbul right now and am working on learning Turkish recipes. The food is soooo good.

Ceviz said...

Thanks Zedral. I am in Istanbul now enjoying the food I missed so much.

Anonymous said...

this recipe was perfect! I filled mine with diced bacon & a cracked egg & they were absolutely delicious. Thanks for this recipe it will be a regular on my dinner table

coconutbubblegum said...

Is this recipe similar to a doner. It looks delicious. Would you have any suggestions for vegetarian fillings?

Ceviz said...

Doner is quite different from this recipe. It is sliced meat in bread served with salad (or french fries as in some parts of Turkey).
Vegeterian options are several. Some are: 1. Mixed silverbeet, feta cheese, egg; 2. Precooked mix of onions, potatoes, thinly sliced capsicum, and spices (sweet paprika, touch of cumin); 3. Precooked mix of onion and leek. These are all ingredients used to make borek - would work well in this too.

Anonymous said...

Hi all, fabulous recipe!!!
Very impressed with how easy they were to make my family loved them!!
Try adding a teaspoon of vegeta seasoning and some chicken stock. Really adds alot of extra flavour!
Daniella

Anonymous said...

good recipe, but certainly lacks that authentic turkish pide flavour. the dough tastes more like pizza dough than pide.im a bit picky coz i used to live around the corner from a traditional turkish restaurant and their pides were to die for.very nice none the less, but for me, the search continues......

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a Pide recipe after my parents sent a photo of their Turkish restaurant version. Can't wait to try my hand.

Cheers,

*Heather*

Anonymous said...

try using yogurt in the dough for a more turkish flavour.

Perth Coffee Beans Lady said...

Excellent alternative to pizza and calzone. Very useful recipe to use up our leftovers too!

Ceviz said...

Yes, there is a yoghurt version too. This recipe comes from Black sea coast.

Kengurushka said...

Hi there,

Can anyone advise please what kind of cheese is better to use in pide? I have tried cheddar but it doesn't go very well with meat. I want to try mozzarella this time but thought it is better to ask first.
Thanks, Shireen

Anonymous said...

This is such a great recipe, been using this recipe from the past 3 years. And every time I make it, everyone loves it! and it tastes great even when its cold! Thanks :D